Saturday, October 3, 2015

Underdogs Brewhouse, All or Nothing Hopfenweisse

One of the many advantages of Ontario relaxing their prohibition era liquor laws is that the LCBO is carrying more and more interesting craft beers, so when I dropped in last night I had to pick up a few new ones, for research purposes of course.  One of the ones I picked up was All or Nothing Hopfenweisse I beer type I don't normally drink by a brewery I had never heard of.  It's all part of the adventure of being a reviewer, and unlike other reviewers of other things I get beer, so without further ado, let's find out if this was a win, or a loss.

Underdogs are a rare breed of craft brewery in that they only brew one beer, hence the name all or nothing.  The rationale behind this is that you focus all of your efforts to make one beer really well, and Underdogs describe it as a beer unlike you have never seen before so I was looking forward to it.  It pours a cloudy orange colour, underscoring it's weisse credentials (which is always a good start) and on the nose you get very strong banana notes with an assertive wheatiness that really shows a lot of potential.  As a result of  the nose I was really looking forward to having a taste but sadly the nose is really the strong point of the beer.  As the sip starts you get an overwhelming taste of pretty much nothing unfortunately.  It starts with a mineral water flavour that progresses into a light beer esque middle that trails off with a slightly sour and bitter beery taste. I couldn't detect any of the tasting notes they have on their website so writing this review was quite difficult.  I really wish there was more to this beer as it is a pretty easy drinking brew, but it really doesn't taste like much.  It's a shame because the pour and the nose have so much potential, but the overall product is a letdown.  I wish every brewery success but I fear these guys won't go very far with a product that falls this flat, unfortunately I won't be buying it again.

It's available at the LCBO as well as at bars and restaurants throughout Ontario. 

Alc 5.1% IBU 25

Rating 1.5 steins. 

What you need to know

 Website
http://underdogsbrewhouse.com

Twitter
@underdogbeer

Facebook
 https://www.facebook.com/UnderdogsBrewhouse

Brewery address
1100 Skae Drive
Oshawa, ON L1J 7A1





No comments:

Post a Comment